Saturday, July 5, 2014

Poets Bring us all together, or at least 3 of us

Did I quit updating my blog? 

Of course not.  Here I am right now.  Just a week later than I should be.  

Here I am, and before I sputter out, I better do some explaining.

Life caught up with me, and that is not a good thing.  By nature, life is a rather dull thing that I have a lot of fun doing.  But I will not lie and claim I lead the life of any dynamic character.  Indeed, I will rank myself among the dozen most boring souls on this side of the St. Lawrence.  (Mississippi too overdone, you know that.)  Now I usually have no complaints, I enjoy the simple things and have more than a mere "streak" of laziness.  But this time it cost me an update of the blog I love so dearly. 

I got caught up watching tv, reading about Henry Himmler, playing video games, eating, trying to shake off the results of eating by walking... so nothing at all.   But it happened, and I am ashamed in a small way that I went silent for a while.  But I am back.  And in case you might be thinking, surely you did something more than that?   No, I really did not.  That just summed up the last two weeks to a perfect precis.   Not a single detail missing, except perhaps understating the amount of nothing I did.

Today, I decided to live again. 

I am in a bookstore today up in a great college town.  As I am perusing the shelves, I notice a lady doing some perusing of her own.  Being that kind of guy at times, I made the vocal observation that she was in the poetry section.  I immediately admitted I was a frequent flier in that section and BAM - conversation exploded.  In case you are wondering why this would trigger a conversation - who the heck checks out poetry sections?  If you just thought, (I DO) you are a rare creature. 

Why is this a writing topic then?   Because how well we connected over the topic of poetry is a sign of how rare a creature we readers of such odd writings have become.  When her husband arrived and admitted he too was a reader of poetry, indeed, he was clutching a copy of Stephen Dobyn's Velocities; the cosmos nearly came to a close right there,   I would like to name drop, but she may not appreciate the attention, but when she indicated she was a published writer of poetry herself, well, I was impressed and thrilled to meet her.   She confessed to a rather small readership, but the fact she put herself out there and is getting the job done triggered a sense of guilt that I am not doing the same.

"Do you write?"   Yup, the ask was made.  I shook my head, as updating a blog on occasion about why I don't write is hardly the stuff that makes a writer.

But it was a pleasure to meet her and her husband, and when she does a poetry reading, I will be there.  

Getting herself out there, what we all should be doing... whatever out there may mean for any of us...

No comments:

Post a Comment