Monday, June 2, 2014

This is my blog.  My litany of why I do not write, besides the seeming hypocrisy of writing a blog...

I have ideas.  And, for brief glorious moments, I have the eye of a writer.  That zone when I look at the world with this amazing view of what I should be copying down.  When I can see scenes everywhere in the world around me - the way someone stands, or the swing of dialogue in a conversation I really should not be listening to.  I often hear that writers have this moment often; for me it is rare but still glorious. 

I have ideas.   Ideas I will contend are actually over rated.  Everyone has ideas.  And anything can be in idea.  A story about nothing can be a wondrous tale in itself.   I have ideas.  Besides, a career can be made writing about only one idea.  

Angst.  

The idea is universal and cannot be over done - though an individual reader needs a break - the world at large does not.

Angst.

 It works as the basis for a tale for anyone that is 12 through 32.   (You can get older folks with mid life crisis angst - but that will be another blog)

Angst. 

Every teenager knows it.   They may live it.  They may post endless updates to twitter, agonizing about backstabbing friends or incredible boredom (and of course evil parents).   If they do not live it?   They see it in the hallways, sit beside in in second period, see the scrawled emo band lyrics on binders, they read the posts online; they know it even if they do not live it personally.

And angst does not end there.  That is why this is an idea that I SHOULD write about.  And so should you.   Because university does not help.   Ask college graduates about what comes after the hours of studying and the days of partying and there is often worry in the eyes.   How many majors get changed, how often is there a sad jealousy in the stomach when friends discuss post college connections in various industries?   It's bad there too.

And after college?  Sending out resumes.  Friends getting jobs, getting married, and there our reader is, still confused.  The reader feels like there is a connection to the angst story, it reminds that reader they are not alone.  And even the employed, as they sit in the cubicle, update "TPS" reports and making sure they have a cover sheet.  They wonder if there is something else out there.  

So why do I not write about it?  

Ah, everyone has ideas.   But then what?   And I get to page 8 or so and the idea runs dry.  I think "I will knock this out tomorrow, 8 more pages. "   Never works.   My own angst I guess...


If I had a reader base, this would be the point I ask for their comments on the topic, but instead, I will go surf some other blogs and see if I can make some friends that way!


No comments:

Post a Comment