Friday, May 23, 2014

Not ending, just stopping

It is tough to remember that not every story ends.  Sometimes they just stop.  It is like that because that is real life.  

It is very hard to convince myself of that when I write.   But most stories seem to end with "he looked and realized..."   or "he stared at the taillights as they disappeared and wondered what would be next."  Lame examples, but that is not my purpose to end some made up story.  If I could end it better, I would be on an island right now writing rather than sitting on a floor blogging. 

But back to the premise - things don't end.  Your friendships don't really end.  Unless there was a big throw down fight, it did not just end.   No, it was a gradual death that has no real context to it.   Perhaps a promise to see each other soon, and as literary cliche would say, sooner became later.   The calls may have become more infrequent, perhaps from guilt...

But it did not really end.

Just stopped.

Like most stories. 

I have to stop trying to come up with endings, just "stoppings"...

No comments:

Post a Comment